Monday, July 19, 2010

Diigo a Social Bookmarking Tool for Education

Getting teachers to allow their students to use technology to achieve academic goals is a challenge (my definition of technology integration.). Every now and then I run across a tool that is so good that many teachers will recognize its worth immediately. Technology tools in and of themselves are usually not transformative of educational practices. However, I believe that Diigo is just one of those tools.

Diigo is a social bookmarking site. I have known about Diigo for quite some time, but until recently I hadn't realized how powerful an educational  tool it really is. It is possible to highlight and annotate web pages and share those annotations with others. You can also sign up for an educator's account and create accounts for all your students. What a great tool for student research projects, collaboration among students, and project based learning! If you looked at my last blog entry, I included an annotated version of Thomas Paine's Common Sense. Check it out.

Here are two websites that will give you more information on this subject.
Two Uses of Technology to Improve Literacy and Critical Thinking

Teaching Social Bookmarking with Diigo Education

No comments:

Post a Comment